Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Anansi Boys [Novel 6] & Stardust [Movie 2]

Anansi Boys

I am reading Anansi Boys right now. I'm a few chapters into it and I really enjoy Neil Gaiman's writing style. It's quite captivating. After watching his interview from when he was at MTI today in class I really enjoy him as a person and a writer. After hearing that Fat Charlie and the rest of the characters are indeed of an african decent, I feel it should have been obvious to me, especially when Mrs. Higgler told Charlie an African Tale that seemed to relate to them and yet it wasn't obvious to me. I wish I could comment more about the book but I just feel as if it's one of those books where nothing is as it seems. Such as, when Fat Charlie talks about his father I feel this deep sense of dislike when I think about the father. But since I don't know that whole story yet I feel as if that feeling might change throughout the book, or maybe not at this point it's just a hunch. I enjoy how the story is flowing. We get the here-and-now, an ancient African Tale, past experiences, and past lives all within a few chapters. It's a nice and refreshing flow.


Stardust



I actually stumbled upon this movie a couple of years ago in a movie rental store during the summer and I thought it was a great movie. I don't find it cheesy at all. If it is at all cheesy the story flows so well that it doesn't bother me. The characters are lovable, maybe a little crazy but enjoyable. There's a lot of little messages in the movie like be who you are, what you always want is not always what you need, and other little messages. I like how there's this wall that no one thinks about crossing but really there's this whole other place/world just on the other side of that wall. My favorite character is Tristian. He sort of has no idea what he wants out of life. It's like he feels he has this life to live and so he begins to chase after this girl who is so wrong for him. I like how his adventure betters his life and it makes him happier than what he thought would happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment