Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Star Light, Star Bright By Alfred Bester [Short Story 1]

I enjoyed the way this short story started out. It really got to the action and point quite quickly. What I liked the most about the beginning of the story was how the main characters name continued to changed but I liked how the author added all those names together so that you could better realize that it was the same person. I think it was an interesting way to make you really wonder what this person was doing. Such as why he was interviewing these people with the same last name. And why he was asking them as a different person with a different occupation and what seemed to be different motives. As I was reading I knew there had to be a pattern in his questions and then I soon realized that it was strange that a man acting as someone from the Science Institute, Association of National Broadcasters, and the Better Business Bureau would ask so many questions about the families kids.

The next thing I liked about this short story was that the main character who is a teacher who is looking through fifth-grade homework about a very common subject, their vacation, and reads this story that seems completely exaggerated and he actually believes the child. I like that we get to read the child's homework to better understand what it is that the main character is looking for. What I think is strange that he not only believes this child but he wants to find him for money. I'm not sure how many people would invest in such a crazy idea about this ten year old boy who could have just made up. What I also think is that this idea is kind of sad that they want to take these kids and use their powers that no one fully understands and sell, or control,  them for money. I'm sure the children don't really think about using their power except for things that only kids are worried about such as having to eat stuff they don't like or if they're a lazy children then they worry about having to get up and walk somewhere. There are much more dangerous things that they could be using it for and those things are what adults would use the powers for. I know these children don't fully realize their powers and of course they never mean to hurt anyone all they know is protection and realize what they need to do to keep who they love and themselves protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment