Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kiki's Delivery Service & Hayao Miyazaki



Kiki's Delivery Service, Hayao Miyazaki

I use to watch Kiki's Delivery Service during the summer when I went to visit my grandma because we never, and still don't, have tv channels at my house. But I remember Kiki's Delivery Service coming on. Back then I probably didn't realize what a work of art it is as well as the rest of Hayao Miyazaki's films are. I actually didn't really learn about him till last year when my sister practically made me watch Howl's Moving Castle. I really liked Howl's Moving Castle, at first I was just like wow this is a great movie but then I found myself needing to watch that movie. It was my favorite Miyazaki movie for a while till I watched Spirited Away, which was actually just a few days ago. I found that movie to be so amazingly captivating. I'm actually a little lost for words when trying to even describe his movies.

One thing that feels so great about going to an art school is that you find people feel the same way about things that a huge majority could care less about. It's not that maybe those people wouldn't like those things but they don't want to try anything new to appreciate something that they only think is going to be dumb. Being around the people at school has really opened up my eyes to new things and enhanced the things I was already interested in. I have bought all the books that we were suggested to read and I have found that I have liked each one. I'm happy to have been opened up to new books because I probably would not have found them on my own. I know the people from my high school would probably look down on me for enjoying animes or mangas, or probably even Hayao Miyazaki's movies.

One small thing I enjoy about Miyazaki's movies are the cute little characters that play little side roles. Like the cat in Kiki's Delivery Service, the baby who turns into a mouse, a little black bird, and the balls of ash in Spirited Away, or Turnip-head and the dog in Howl's Moving Castle. They have this comic relief to the serious parts of his movies. They are so adorable and sometimes you see them off to the side making these faces that are part of their personality. I just want to hug each and every one of them.

He has powerful characters, environments, and storylines. His storylines sometimes actually have me a bit confused. I love the needs and desires of his characters. How they really want to be good people and always have good goals. Of course the scenes are beyond beautiful. I find it so amazing how full of color they are but never appear over the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment