Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Golden Compass [Novel 5], Narnia, & Harry Potter & Inkheart

The Golden Compass 

Even though this book was written from a younger age group than myself, I still enjoyed it. The fact that it was easy to read meant that it was easier to get lost in the story much quicker. There were so many interesting ideas brought up in this book. 

My favorite being the daemons that the human race had. It's like everyones' soul was out in the open, there was no hiding it, there was no getting away from who you truly are. I think the author made a good choice in having the daemons in an animal form. It's something that is easily related to, we all have heard or been asked the question "what kind of animal would you be?". Philip Pullman could easily answer that question in behalf of his characters. 

I also like how he decided to use places that are actually in our world and places that he creates. It gives it a more on earth idea but still gives us the other world, it's like he's letting us have the best of both worlds. 



I have to say that I enjoyed the movie as well. The only thing about the movie is that at the end I felt like they just cut off the storyline and there was no sense of closure. I could have maybe let that feeling pass if they had/or planned to make the next two books into movies. 





Narnia

My favorite, fantasy place. I first saw the movies. Prince Caspian is probably my favorite movie. When I first saw the Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe. I was shocked at how much I liked it but it really was a great story, in my opinion. The world was so intense, and to know that a world like that could be in something as simple as a wardrobe [which I found out later from reading the books that it wasn't just simple]. I defiantly loved the acting as well, as a whole the movie was presented well.

After watching the movie I wanted to read the books, so I did. I really liked The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, Prince Caspian, & The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Maybe I just liked those four stories the most because they tie so well into each other. The one big difference between the books and the movies is the religious point-of-view. The Religion part is much stronger in the books. At first I didn't realize all the ties into religion that the stories had till I read the books. Also it amazed me how short the stories are. The movies have a lot of details that were not mentioned in the books.



Harry Potter

It wouldn't be a true fantasy talk if I didn't talk about Harry Potter. Again, I watched the movies before I read the books. Though I did attempt to read them after the first movie came out but I started with the fourth, which is strange even to me now because it was, at the time, the longest book. I finally got around to reading them a little of a year ago. I really enjoyed them but it also made me see how much the movies were leaving out. 

I do indeed love the world of Harry Potter that Rowling created. It is a special place and I think all the growing characters is what gave her idea the special quality. 





Inkheart

I just wanted to briefly talk about this book, which is now a series by Cornelia Funke. This was my first favorite book, and the movie wasn't too horrible but it was no where near the experience that I felt with the book. I really liked the whole idea of the book. That there was this daughter and father loved books. Their whole world was based off their love for books. The father's job was to repair books and their entire house was just cluttered with books. Then we come to find out that when the father reads out-loud objects and characters can appear in the real world and something from the real world is put into the book's world. But the story is about the daughter, Meggie, and she finds her special power and goes on this adventure in learning the truth about her family, herself, and the world around her. 



No comments:

Post a Comment