Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Wild Sheep Chase [Novel 3]

I wasn't really sure what to expect from a book about a sheep chase, but I was surprised how the book was. Since I have never read J. horror before, I think this book showed me a little bit about what J. horror is about.

The horror genre for American culture is much different than Japanese horror. I have never really been into the horror movies that came out here. But seeing the two movies we watched today in class made me really like how Japanese horror is set up. I like that there's this slow build up so that we find out about the characters in everyday life, how they view themselves, and get along with others, rather than how they just act when something strange is going on, or when they are facing their death. Which is what our horror movies are mostly like. Our horror movies are pretty typical and it's not that the horror industry no longer scares me, because they do, but I just don't enjoy the type of horror that they put on. Especially in the recent years.

A Wild Sheep Chase was very much like the movies we watched today, slow moving but we found out who the main character was internally. We also discovered a lot about the events in his life as well as the people in his life and how they effected him as well as his life.  Since I only read half of the book, and from what I heard in class the book starts to pick up and I would defiantly like to finish this book because I want to know how the main characters actions and decisions affect him at the end of the book. Like was mentioned in class, I liked how the author didn't use name in the book. It sort of opens it up so that we can believe this persons life could be anyones. Which from what I read his life was fairly normal. What I also like about everyone being nameless is that we have names for everything, for everyone and it's shocking and interesting that someone can write an entire novel taking away what is part of everyday life.

No comments:

Post a Comment