Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Hobbit [Novel 4]

This was the first time that I have read something by J.R.R Tolkien. I enjoyed reading the Hobbit. I get really wrapped up in fantasy books, novels, stories, movies, and tv shows. There's just this idea that the fantasy subjects give off, the idea that there is something more. Something more to keep fighting for, something more to learn, something else out there. I feel like the genre of fantasy makes me hope there is something more out there than the every day to day life. Of course I don't expect that something to be as extreme as a world like Lord of the Rings or Narnia. But one can hope.

I enjoyed the Hobbit because I like the adventures they go through and how he was so against the idea of going on an adventure because "hobbits don't have adventures" but found himself going anyway. After every new obstacles he kept thinking he wanted be back in his warm hobbit hole. Yet in the end even though he was glad to be home, his life changed a lot from his adventure and he found that he loved that as well. It's pretty interesting that the dwarfs and Bilbo have this adventure but Gandalf seems to tag along but also directs them along the way. He's a little bit of a guide to them as well as a protector because he constantly is the one to get them out of their troubles. I don't mind that the book starts out a little slow, actually I don't really this it starts out slow, I think the beginning events and the lots of detail is necessary because for some people J.R.R. Tolkien's world is new to them, but I also think having loads of detail is unique because author's are afraid to give too much.

I would defiantly like to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy after reading the hobbit because I like the characters/ creatures, personalities and world that Tolkien developed. I've seen the movies and they are really intense and I enjoyed them much more than I thought I would. I really had this idea that they would be kind of cheesy but I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment