Friday, November 19, 2010

All At One Point/ The Aquatic Uncle [Short Stories 4 & 5] & Oryx & Crake [novel 7]

My main thought that All At One Point brought up was that it's amazing how people can occupy the same space and never really get to know each other. How people can be in the same room and never say hi. How quickly we forget those people once time has passed. I guess that's a little bit of a depressing thought, but it's true and I can't pretend otherwise. It always seems that at the end of something is when you finally start to get to know people then your time is up and it's time to keep moving on. On a happier note, it is also wonderful how

We already discussed in class that The Aquatic Uncle was about evolution but I also think it is about change. Change is constant and for a lot of people it is hard. In this story we have the uncle who is a fish that doesn't want to face having to live outside of water even though the world is changing around him. He is given plenty of options to go about change in a more comforting way but of course no one really likes change. I think this story is relevant to a lot of people's view on change. I enjoy that the author added a character who was the complete opposite of the uncle and that the main character had both of these people in their lives. By having someone who is on the opposing side that is also an understanding person really makes a big difference in people's view of change.



Oryx & Crake


So I actually started this book a few weeks ago because I thought we were suppose to read it for a different week. When I found out that we weren't suppose to read it I stopped reading it but will probably finish it for my last entry post. So this is what I thought about it so far; 

Parts 1-2 [chs 1-6]

I thought the opening to the book was pretty great. Since I am not a guy, I can only guess how they would act in such a situation as the snowman is put but from my point of view for Margaret, who is obviously a female as well, to capture the feeling of a male as her main character is dead on. Too often authors stay in their gender groups when writing because of course it is easier for someone to write about a gender mindset when you are indeed part of the gender group as well. I enjoy how she is getting the mindset of a guy, which we can especially see every time that snowman's/Jimmy's mother is mentioned. So far when the mother is mentioned we get this frustrated and defending mother who wants her child to both grow up and stay young at the same time. I think this is very typical in mothers and maybe it's also a little gender-typical, but none the less it supports the guys' mind.

The first part for me displays some of the things I'm worried about for the future. They don't fully get into what is really going on but at this point I have a feeling that Crake is the owner of this company, I'm guessing OrganInc Farms that we are introduced to in part 2, that during time ends up being the largest company. So large that they decide how the human race will evolve. Such as men not having facial hair. It would be very interesting to know what type of alterations we would have if we gave someone the power to change us and to take away things that we are used to, that make us human.


One of my favorite parts so far is when Jimmy is explaining how they lived when he was younger when  OrganInc Farms's workers had their own community and relates it to medieval times.

"So are we the kings and dukes?" asked Jimmy.
"Oh, absolutely," said his father, laughing.

I'm finding it difficult to explain why I enjoy this little exchange between son and father. I think it shows a lot how the book is going to go. How Jimmy is going to grow up having had his parents, mostly his father, work at this huge company and live a higher class life than most people but then he's going to be completely against the after effects of this company. 

So far I think this book has a lot to do with change, realization, and how both of those ideas are going to effect each other. Such as, how the main character is going to try to get through to the next day realizing he can't change the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment